BASSENDEAN HISTORY


HOME BOWLS ESSENTIALS HISTORY
EXECUTIVE 
MEMBERSHIP
SPONSORS
SOCIAL EVENTS
BOWLS COMMITTEE
CLUB EVENTS
LADIES PENNANTS
MEN'S PENNANTS
BOWLS CALENDAR
BOOKINGS
CORPORATE BOWLS
POKER
DARTS
CALENDAR
NEWSLETTERS
HOW TO PLAY BOWLS
BOWLS HISTORY
BASSENDEAN HISTORY
STEWART DAVIES CHALLENGE


2015-2016 FINALS

THE BASSENDEAN BOWLING CLUB

Outside the pavilion of the Bassendean Bowling Club is the plaque or emblem of the club. There is quite a story behind the plaque. It was created by Miss G. A. South of Albany. It is a replica of the Broun family's Coat of Arms and the club's badge.

Peter Broun was the first Colonial Secretary in WA and in 1829 he took a grant of 5 000 acres which he named Bassendean and from which the town sprung up.

 

BASSENDEAN BOWLING CLUB BADGE

The Bassendean Bowling Club adopted the Broun Family's Coat of Arms as its club badge in order to pay its respects to Mr Peter Broun, the first colonial Secretary of WA, who founded Bassendean in 1829.

The Coat of Arms heraldic description is, "A Lion rampant holding in his dexter paw a fleur-de-lis." which is substituted by a kitty in the Bassendean Bowling Club badge.

The Bassendean Bowling Club was formed in 1934. Theirs was the first section completed on the Bassendean Improvement Committee (BIC) Reserve. The following are the minutes of the meeting, convened by Mr R. A. McDonald, Chairman of the Bassendean Roads Board, of gentlemen interested in the formation of a bowling club, held at the Bassendean Town Hall, on October 15th 1934.

OPENING: Mr McDonald, in opening the meeting, expressed his pleasure at the attendance and welcomed the presence of Mr G. Clarke. The object of the meeting is to discuss the proposal to form a bowling club in the district. He outlined the Bassendean Roads Board's proposal in connection with the preparing and lease of the green and intimated that the gardener (Mr Harber) advised that the green would be ready by the end of November. There would also be a lighting scheme by the end of December. Mr G. Clarke was then called on by Mr McDonald. Mr Clarke thanked the convenor for the invitation and urged those present to form a club, and that he would render any assistance he could.

FUNCTION: There followed a general discussion of the proposal. It was moved by Mr Styles and seconded by Mr Bowen, that a bowling club be formed in Bassendean. Carried.

SECRETARY: Mr Loveridge and Mr Warren moved that Mr Harber be acting Secretary. Carried.

RULES: That a committee of five be appointed to draft rules and by-laws.

COMMITTEE: Messrs Loveridge, Miller, Bowen, Styles and Nadebaum.

MEETINGS: The Committee to meet on Monday October 22nd and report to a meeting on Monday October 29th in the Town Hall.

OFFICERS: These are held over until the rules are drafted.

Vote of thanks to Mr McDonald.

A. E. Nadebaum George Harber

CHAIRMAN ACTING SECRETARY

There were thirty-one foundation members. By the second meeting, plans for the pavillion/club room were called for. Additionally, there was a motion that the club affiliate with the Royal Western Australian Bowling Association (R. W. A. B. A.). For full members, subscription fees were set at 1.5.0. pounds.

In their early months, the club sent out a plea to other clubs to give or loan them bowls. Fortunately, the North Perth and Mt Lawley Clubs responded.

By April 1935, club rooms had been gained and they were operational by July. However the official opening was on November 9th, 1936 and in the presence of the then, Lieutenant-Governor Sir James Mitchell, and other distinguished visitors.

In 1935, the club also made an entry in the Glick Trophy for the first time. In October of that year, the club entered the R. W. A. B. A. pennant competition. In November, the Bassendean Ladies Croquet Club was allowed the use of the club rooms and in particular the kitchen, an arrangement which was very amicable and lasted many years.

In 1939-40 Bassendean won their first pennant in Division 7 and followed this up in 1941-42 by winning the pennant in Division 5. Through the war years the club was quite sound and financially strong.

In March 1945, the Bassendean Roads Board asked the Bowling Club for representation on the War Loan Committee. In April that year, a minor milestone was passed, when ladies were permitted to bowl at the club in mixed fours, however, they were still not permitted to join.

By the late forties the club had gained a second green and membership had reached 80. In 1952, a motion was passed 5-3 to allow ladies to join the club. They formed the Bassendean Ladies Bowling Association (club) of which there were eight foundation members. During this period E. Ford won the 1948-49 State Championship Singles and in 1952-53 Bassendean won the mid-week division 5 pennant.

Indeed the fifties were good years for the club. Membership increased with the advent of women into the club, the club won the division 3 pennant in 1954-55 and both the division 2 and 3 pennants in 1957-58. During this period, social activities picked up and many committees were formed. Coinciding with this, was the granting of a Liquor Licence in 1956.

The Bowling Club has not always been on its present site. Before 1961 it had been situated closer to the Tennis Club, however, in 1960, the President Mr Goggin announced plans to construct a new club-house, which was completed by November 1961 (to coincide with the start of the new bowls season). Where the fifties were a very good decade the sixties were less so with only one pennant won, division 3 in 1962-63. In addition the club faced financial concerns coupled with worries regarding the rearrangement of the greens. The green problems came to a head in 1965, when they were deemed not good enough for pennants and the game transferred, this resulted in the greenkeeper resigning and a subsequent rise in the quality of the greens. Grumblings continued in the sixties, one incident involved Eric Nielsen, who was called to front the committee regarding an extremely offensive letter he had written which was accompanied by a trophy he had won earlier that year... Nielsen's resignation was accepted unanimously. Another incident involved a visitor who after a particularly good club dance in 1969, accidently drove his car onto a green. The visitor sent a cheque for $20 to cover damages... since there were none his money was returned and he was invited to join the club.

 

 

 

 

 

Congratulations Keith Manton, Phil Hutchinson and Mick Erceg

Winners of the 2016-2017 Senior State Triples

 

 

CONGRATULATIONS

BLAKE NAIRN AND HELEN MORSS

2017 STATE SINGLES CHAMPIONS

 

BLAKES FINAL END

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 
497 Walter Rd E, Morley WA 6062

 


WEBSITE DESIGNED BY J DAVIES 2012